vetica said: LET’S TALK ABOUT IT WHEN I GET BACK FROM WORK (45 mins). <3 I’ll send you an invite to ello! :D
Okay :) Yes yes lets! Thank you, love you <3
10 Reasons Why EarthShips Are Fucking Awesome
Earthships are 100% sustainable homes that are both cheap to build and awesome to live in. They offer amenities like no other sustainable building style you have come across. For the reasons that follow, I believe Earthships can actually change the world. See for yourself!
1) Sustainable does not mean primitive
When people hear about sustainable, off-the-grid living, they usually picture primitive homes divorced from the comforts of the 21st century. And rightfully so, as most sustainable solutions proposed until now have fit that description. Earthships, however, offer all of the comforts of modern homes and more. I’ll let these pictures do the talking…
2) Free Food
Each Earthship is outfitted with one or two greenhouses that grow crops year-round, no matter the climate. This means you can feed yourself with only the plants growing inside of your house. You can also choose to build a fish pond and/or chicken coop into your Earthship for a constant source of meat and eggs.
3) Brilliant Water Recycling
Even the most arid of climates can provide enough water for daily use through only a rain-harvesting system. The entire roof of the Earthship funnels rain water to a cistern, which then pumps it to sinks and showers when required. That used ‘grey water’ is then pumped into the greenhouse to water the plants. After being cleaned by the plants, the water is pumped up into the bathrooms for use in the toilets. After being flushed, the now ‘black water’ is pumped to the exterior garden to give nutrients to non-edible plants.
4) Warmth & Shelter
The most brilliant piece of engineering in the Earthship is their ability to sustain comfortable temperatures year round. Even in freezing cold or blistering hot climates, Earthships constantly hover around 70° Fahrenheight (22° Celsius).
This phenomenon results from the solar heat being absorbed and stored by ‘thermal mass’ — or tires filled with dirt, which make up the structure of the Earthship. The thermal mass acts as a heat sink, releasing or absorbing heat it when the interior cools and heats up, respectively.
The large greenhouse windows at the front of the house always face south to allow the sun to heat up the thermal mass throughout the daytime.
Solar panels on the roof and optional wind turbines provide the Earthship with all of the power it needs. As long as you’re not greedily chewing through electricity like a typical first-world human, you’ll never be short of power.
With all of your basic needs provided for and NO bills each month, you’re free! You don’t have to work a job you hate just to survive. So you can focus your time on doing what you love, and bettering the world around you.
Imagine if the entire world was able to focus on doing extraordinary things instead of just making enough to get by. Imagine if even 10% of the world could do this. What would change?
7) Easy to build
At a recent Earthship conference in Toronto, Canada, a married couple in their forties shared about how they built a 3-story Earthship by themselves in 3 months. They had never built anything before in their lives and were able to build an Earthship with only the printed plans. They did not hire any help, nor did they use expensive equipment to make the job easier.
If one man and one woman can do this in 3 months, anyone can do it.
Earthships are exorbitantly cheaper than conventional houses. The most basic Earthships cost as little as $7000 (The Simple Survival model) with the most glamorous models costing $70,000 and up, depending on how flashy you want to be with your decorating.
With these cost options, Earthships can fit the needs of everyone — from the least privileged to the most worldly.
9) Made of recycled materials
Much of the materials used to build Earthships are recycled. For starters, the structure is built with used tires filled with dirt.
If there’s one thing we’re not short of on Earth, it’s used tires! There are tire dumps like the one pictured here in every country in the world. There are even places that will pay you by the tire to take them away.
The walls (above the tires) are created by placing plastic and glass bottles in concrete. When the Earthship team was in Haiti after the earthquake, they employed local kids to both clean up the streets and provide all of the bottles required for building their Earthship. Plus, they look pretty sexy.
10) Think Different
The most powerful thing Earthships do is force people to think differently about how we live. If housing can be this awesome, and be beneficial to the environment, then what else can we change? What else can become more simple, cheaper and better at the same time?
It’s time for us to re-think much of what we consider normal.
Think Earthships are cool? Me too. That’s why I’ve joined up with some people to create a community of Earthships and to make sustainable communities go mainstream! It’s something we call the Valhalla Movement.
This originally appeared on: HighExistence
I’m sure Liam has a bunch of Ziam selfies on his phone. But Zayn just has a few words of advice for him.
Because we don’t want a repeat of this, of course.
Seriously Liam, he means it.
Ah, people don’t really want a recap of my concert experience, right? There’s tons and tons of posts already out there about the show. I’d be a boring review. Something like: "I went. I sang along to the songs. I watched Zayn. I watched Liam. I watched Zayn and Liam. I got in the car. I cried." It’d be horrible.
But I do feel bad. It was my first One Direction show and I spent the entire show watching Zayn or Liam. I should’ve been standing on my chair and rocking out. And I didn’t get any cool pictures or video. I’m a shit concert goer.
But for all of the Ziam gif makers, if you do find video of the Atlanta show, here is what you’re looking for if you’re trying to make Ziam gifs (
my mind is a blur for most of the parts, sorry):
- During “Midnight Memories,” when Zayn and Liam were trying to cross paths by the drummer (Josh), Liam made this dramatic hand motion for Zayn to pass by first. It was cute/funny.
- Think there was a kissper moment after “Live While We’re Young”; I know they were chatting briefly around then
- "C’mon, C’mon" had a lot of Zayn watching Liam. Think they sang to each other too
- Liam drug his mic stand over to where Zayn was during “Through the Dark” so they could sing their bridge together
- Liam watched Zayn during their harmony for “Moments”
- During “You & I” when all of the mic stands came up from the stage, Zayn’s was missing his mic. He had to run under to the side stage to find his mic. Liam kept watching the area where Zayn ran to; looked sort of nervous or anxious. He started up Zayn’s part with Niall but then Zayn came back out from the side stage mid-verse and sang at Liam. They laughed and chatted about it.
- Before “Story of My Life” is when Liam found the stuffed Nemo. He and Zayn were chatting over the water bucket. Zayn picked up the Dory one and showed it off to Liam. He started using it to “kiss”/attack Liam’s neck and the back of his head with it. He actually threw the Dory to a fan (lucky girl) in our row after carrying it around for most of the song
- Zayn during “Best Song Ever.” He stayed by Liam’s side of the stage the whole time and kept looking in his direction while singing. He did the "you’ve got a dirty mouth” bit to Liam again, shaking his finger at him. He sang his last 'best song ever' ad-lib to Liam. It was like he was trying to get Liam’s attention before then but Liam was so busy dancing around (that boy has energy) to see it the whole time.
- They ran together towards the main ramp after saying their 'thank you's' at the end.
I’m sure there were more moments. I couldn’t see anything going down on the B-stage so I don’t know. They were kicking about a toy or a ball with Louis on the B-stage towards the end before “Little White Lies” while Niall was talking. I know Liam pinched Zayn’s nipple at one point on the main stage but I can’t remember in between what songs it was. Lots of smiling or laughing at each other.
There you go. Sorry I have no video for you but it was a good time. I could listen to Zayn’s accents for hours, I swear. And the way he and Liam changed up some of their verses, ad-libs really makes me wish there was an R&B AU for these two.
All-in-all, these boys are really in love with their fans. You could tell the entire time. They made sure everyone felt special in some way. Cool lads, that lot.
Doing the do with you know who
The greatest mystery of all time solved…What Neville forget to remember in that scene.
All of this is important.
dunno if this is old news, but liam followed the guy who called sophia a gold digger
@amos*nghgill is about 90 people down on liam’s followed list, so he followed him somewhat recently but not super recently (and probably before he made those comments).
He followed him after it, because I checked his follows like yesterday morning (I think), and lindshire was the last one followed then. I remember it because he had just added Lottie. Anyway, my point is that Liam definitely followed the dude after the tweets.